Re: FRONT END WANDERING

To: William G Abbott <william.g.abbott#064#boeing.com@mail.mdc.com>
Subject: Re: FRONT END WANDERING
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 23:21:43 -0400
Cc: IPM Return Requested <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I have an M & G handling kit on both of my cars & think it is terrific.
The front bar is 1", much ,much stiffer than the factory 5/8" bar. The
rear is about 5/8, much smaller than the 1977 factory rear bar, but with
shorter arms, so it reacts quicker. Key is that the 2 bars must be a
match for each other, for a given application. For an MGB, that means
stiff front end, softer rear end.  Otherwise, with a stiff rear, you
loose traction in the corners, & the rear end hits the wall. Softer rear
suspension, to a point, keeps both tires in contact with the ground, no
"hop", better control.

The new Ron Hopkins handling kit is similar, & I have heard from a few
people who have installed it, that they are very happy with the results.

Lowering is good, as long as you can still get over speed bumps, pull
into driveways, etc. An Air dam is good for high speed stability.

None of the above is likely to solve your ":wander" problem, all are
good ideas for a high(er) performance car. What shape are your tires in?
How about checking tire pressures? Have you checked your toe-in?

Jim Stuart

remember that negitive camber a-arms will improve cornering & wear out
tires before they have a chance to dry rot.