4.2 L finally home

To: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 4.2 L finally home
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 19:54:20 -0500
Cc: Woody Cooper <SMCTR8@aol.com>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net

Changed the oil, got rid of the break-in stuff, fiddled around some,
finally drove the car home Saturday. With the impending ice storm &
predicted terrible weather, I just did not want to drive the Roadster
any longer. OF-dom includes a strong desire for personal comfort. About
2 miles from the shop, the oil pressure gauge started doing terrible
things, shooting up to 100lbs at 2000 rpm's. It ran normal, shot up,
dropped, etc. A roadside stop showed plenty of oil, no leaks. The
lifters weren't clattering, so I finally said the hell with it, drove
the remaining 25 miles home with everything crossed I could cross.

Awoke this morning to diminishing rain, rising temps. By 11:00 the Sun
was trying to shine, so off to Trash Auto for a cheap oil pressure
gauge. This after changing the oil pressure relief spring to no effect.
Cheap mechanical gauge showed I had no problem except a bad sender for
my VDO gauge. Less than 2 years old, no more bragging about German
quality from anyone.

I think all the niggly problems I have had are to keep me from getting
(remaining?) too smug. Maybe it is a round-about Lucas "get even" for
replacing the entire harness with a Street Rod version with 21 circuits
instead of 4.

Got another 60-70 miles in today, enlarged the tunnel cutout so reverse
would engage fully, ate lunch at the shop in a lawn chair & table
outside, in 51`F weather. Yesterday's high was 26`F. What a great day
today!

The car is really a blast! set the timing @10`, thank you Woody, at 750
rpm, idles like my old full house '57 Chevy, great lope, lumpty lump.
Really takes me back to the 60's. Car doesn't care if it starts off in
1st or 2nd. TONS of torque! Still haven't really opened it up or hit the
go peddle very hard, but what a smooth runner it is. Engine very quiet,
exhaust slightly loud & very mellow.

Sorry to be long winded, but a simple engine replacement took longer
than the original conversion, & involved many more problems, & I am SO
happy it is done, & turned out to be as good as expected.

Anyone shopping for cams & dizzys should certainly talk to Woody @ The
Wedge shop before making a final decision. I do business with many
venders, a number are on this list, & I have always had good service &
advice from all. I especially thank Ted @ T & S Imports & Jack Emery @
MG Guys for advice, encouragement & re-assurance, as well as Woody, who
was genuinely concerned that one of his engines might have a problem.

Thanks to all for your interest & help, & the best of New Years.

Jim Stuart