Re: MG V8 newsletter and convention web sites

To: Rick Huber <rickhuber@home.com>
Subject: Re: MG V8 newsletter and convention web sites
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 21:37:13 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Rick-

I use a GM alternator on my Rover engine, mounting it on the passenger side
head (left hand drive). I made my bracket first from a piece of 1/8" steel,
then later, duplicated it in aluminum. Start with a piece of metal about 6"
x 3", drill holes to match the threaded bosses on the front of the head.
Bolt the piece to the head, hold the alternator up to the head to get an
approximate location, with the mounting lug down. Eyeball a spot on the flat
metal to line up with the mounting lug, drill & tap for a threaded rod, head
stud, etc. Use a "J" shaped adjuster arm from Pep Boys, coming off the extra
hole on the Buick 300 water pump you are surely using. A piece of tubing
over the threaded rod is your spacer to position the alternator to line up
with the crank & water pump pullies. This is your starting point. If
everything does not clear, drill a new hole for the threaded rod.When you
are happy with the location, copy the original plate onto a new one, bend up
a support bracket from the oil pump housing to the outer end of the threaded
rod.

The alternator used is a 3 wire from mid '70's Chevy. Choice of outputs from
45-100 amps. Buy a rebuilt 63 amp from Track Auto, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc
for about $40.00, maybe less.

If this is not clear, ask away. If necessary, I will try to get a photo to
e-mail you, or try to make adrawing.

Jim  Stuart