Re: Great gear ratio vs speed calculator

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Great gear ratio vs speed calculator
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 02:29:39 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/29/99 6:36:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com writes:

> I just ran across a great gear ratio, axle ratio, tire size vs. speed
>  calculator on the f-body web site.   http://www.f-body.org/gears/   You
>  can start with several presets (including a F-body T5) and then alter
>  tire size, gear ratios (up to 6-speeds) axle ratio and max rpm -- the
>  program then outputs speeds in each gear in 100 rpm increments -- my V8
>  MGB should be able to do 161 MPH when completed !!  :-)

Kevin & others,

I have put together a little MS Excel 97 spread sheet to caculate these
parameters. You input tire size, rear axle ratio, and transmission ratios,
and the spread sheet calculates tire diameter, tire width, mph/1000 rpm, rpm
per mph for speed from 10 to 150 mph in 10 mph increments, and mph per rpm
for rpm ranging from 1500 to 8500, in 500 rpm increments.

It also generates a rpm/mph and a mph/rpm chart, each chart including graphs
for all five speeds.

To see a sample printout of the spreadsheet, and to download a copy, see:

http://members.aol.com/danmas/design.htm

I think it is a neat little spreadsheet, as you can play with it and get
instant feedback on the effects of various changes.

Hope you'all enjoy it (it shows 184 mph top speed for my TR6/Ford 302 with a
0.63 5th gear - oh, if only I had the aerodynamics!).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74