Re: automatics?

To: Andy Bradley <abradley@cnw.com>
Subject: Re: automatics?
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 22:56:34 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Andy-

I believe there was 1 automatic at the last V8 convention, behind a V6.

When doing the planning for my V8 BGT, I had thought seriously about using an
automatic trans, & had salvaged a usable unit
from a Rover 3500. What became very obvious was that either the engine was
going to have to be moved farther forward than I
wanted, or that a lot of cutting/pounding of the trans tunnel was going to be
required. While the diameter of the auto bell
housing was the same as required for a manual trans, the bulky front part
needed to be much longer with the auto box to
cover the torque converter.

After a weekend of measuring & thinking about the choices, I was convinced it
could be done, but too much work for me. Maybe
someone else can provide a more positive experience.

Jim Stuart