Re: New Car

To: "Michael Hartwig" <mhartwig@midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: New Car
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 18:53:05 -0800
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
11/2/00

        The real question is how can people so glibly talk about this car,
or electric cars, or whatever cars, as zero polution???  Hasn't happened
yet!!!  You have to look at the entire picture.  What about the fuel burned
to provide the power for the air compressor?  What about the fuel burned to
refine that fuel?  What about the fuel burned in transporting this fuel to
whereever the compressor may be?  So---maybe the compressor is electrically
driven.  OK, then, what about the fuel burned to create the steam, to power
the turbine, to spin the generator, to produce the electrical power, to
lose 25% of during transmission, to run the electric motor, to spin the
compressor, etc?

        Getting serious for a minute--I have never seen any real OVERALL
analyses of any familiar, or alternative, modes of propulsion and have
often wondered why not.  Are there any out there that anybody knows about?
There must be significant differences, but how would anybody know which are
truly the least polutting?

        So much for my crazy view of the world.

Cheers,

Dave K.