RE: Buick Block with Olds Heads

To: "'james'" <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>, <kdad@ezl.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Buick Block with Olds Heads
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 01:40:20 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
There are major differences in the cylinder heads, they are not the same
castings. Buick heads sit up, Olds splay outwards. Rocker arm mounts are
much different, combustion chamber design is not at all the same in plug &
valve placement. Valves, rocker shafts are not interchangeable.

If you have a D & D catalog, look at the picture on the cover. The head on
the left is an Olds, the other is a Buick. If you look closely, you can see
the Olds head is straight up & out from the block, while the Buick head is
angled much more upwards, less outward. The Buick is an easier fit in a
tight engine bay. Placement of the intake & exhaust ports is identical, as
both manifolds are interchangeable.

My first conversion used an Olds engine, and after about a year, I swapped
in a set of Buick heads to up the compression. That was a really great
running engine. Lots of power, very quick acceleration. With heavier valve
springs, ran to 6500 rpms without valve float. Probably why I broke a rocker
shaft at only 270,000 miles.

Jim Stuart

Reply to <jimbb88@usa.com>