Sebring body kit update

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Sebring body kit update
From: "Simon Austin" <simon_mgb@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 19:51:26 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi Team,

Thought I'd pass on some updates regarding the installation of my Sebring
body kit to my V8 project.

Background info: '77 "B" roadster, Rover 3.5 + 5-speed, stock "B" suspension
but lowered springs, chrome bumper conversion.  I like the look of the MGC
GTS's from the sixties so I ordered the kit from the MGOC in the UK.  The
same kit is also available from "Proper MG" in the USA.

The kit arrived and I finally got around to fitting it to the shell.  Being
a fibreglass kit, I was a bit apprehensive but my body man is an expert in
the field so off we went.  The rear arches are overlays onto the fenders and
the front are complete fenders.

We cut out the rear fenders leaving about an inch of solid metal all around
the inside edge with the idea of trimming the fibreglass fender to fit
inside the metal lip.  This went reasonably well.  Much work still to be
done on those.

The fronts are a different story.  Not that I was expecting a bolt-on fender
but close would be nice; and close is what we got. The lower rear edge of
both fenders had to be trimmed to fit the doors as well as the top rear edge
where the window post will pass through.  These holes are not molded into
the fenders so some cutting had to be done anyway. The fenders come with the
inner support that attaches to the body shell but alas, it was in the wrong
spot (too far back) and was removed to be repositioned later.

One of the most important alignment tools is the hood line and fortunately,
this is really good.  So as it stands, the fenders are hanging on the car
and the real fun begins to line it all up.  If I knew then what I know now,
I would remove the arch from the kit fender to splice onto the metal one
rather than using the entire fibreglass fender.  Trouble is, I sold the
fenders a while back. Ah well, live and learn. Further details to follow.

Cheers
Simon Austin