Re: Printer blues

To: <barrier@bconnex.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Printer blues
From: "JJJ" <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:47:01 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
 Barrie,
    I do alot of digital darkroom work.  Let's get some more info:
New Software?
New Ink cartridge?
Changed any settings lately?
How about a full color print, does that come out OK?

I need to know what software you are using to print the image.  Also, is
that HP a 4 color or a 6 color printer?  Some software prints black as an
CMY (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) combo, while others use CMY for all but the
darkest shades and use black only for dark shadow areas.  While most amature
software and printers use black ink for all blacks, even though it limits
the dynamic range of the final print.

Ultimately I suspect that it will turn out to be a software setting that was
inadvertantly clicked, and those usualy take longer to find than a real
bonified problem.

Run your printer diagnostics (head alignment and nozzle clean) and try
printing a full color print.  If full-color print comes out blue (cyan) you
may have plugged M and Y nozzels.
If it comes out fine, you probably have a software setting problem.  Does
the greyscale image look greyscale on the screen?  Try opening it with a few
different viewers to see if it looks pure B&W in them all.

Let me know what you find out.

James J.