Re: Jeep axles

To: HoYo <hoyo@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Jeep axles
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:06:22 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
HoYo,
I have two of them myself. If you can't find serial # info, you can allways take off the back cover and look at the diffy. You should be able to see some of the clutch pack (If memory serves me well). The other question is what type of diffy is it? Is it a posi w/clutch pack or one of the locking varieties, which are useless for us street guys. Unfortunately my serial #'s won't help you any, as one is a postal unit, and the other had the posi added later.
James J.

HoYo wrote:

Hi gang,
i just received 2 free axles from i believe a CJ5,6,or 7. the front i can't
use nat. and the rear is too offset to use . they weren't from a mail
truck(CJ6?) but i was wondering if both have posi chucks? they should be a
Jeeps are 4WD and was thinking of keeping the chunks to use in
another(mailtruck) axle when i get one.can some one give me a primer on where
the#'s are and what they mean? like where's the axle ratio #'s ,etc. thanks!
                                                      HoYo