Re: Epoxy "glue" for fiberglass work

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: Epoxy "glue" for fiberglass work
From: James Jewell <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 10:56:18 -0400
Cc: kmwheeler@ualr.edu, v8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Guys,
    Stay away from the Corvette crowd. Their advice really isn't
applicable here.   I did allot of research on this last year, talking to
all kinds of paint and body guys on the net.  The key here is to have an
epoxy that maintains some flex and give, as the metal and fiberglass
have very different thermal expansion properties, something the Corvette
guys don't have to worry about.  3M makes a good epoxy with some
"give".  Can't remember the product name right now, but find some of
their vendors on the web and read the product descriptions.  In addition
to the epoxy, you need to use one of the body fillers that flexes, and,
most importantly, add some flex-additive to the primers and paints you
use.  Some folks argue that the additive slightly changes the color or
sheen of the paint.  To avoid that complication, add the additive to all
of the topcoat paints/clears going all over the car, then the entire car
will be guaranteed to match.  If someone else is doing your paint, make
sure they heed these directions.
James J.