Re: Faultless MGB-GT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Faultless MGB-GT
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:56:28 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Mark,

I have spent eight to ten years building an MGB GT V8 out of a 1970
body (sans engine) because I drove one for eight years through rain
sleet and snow.  But it lacked top end umph thus the V8 build.  I
have completely restored it to new.  Replaced, rebuilt or restored
everything.  So I suppose you could say I know the MGB GT fairly
well.  THE big thing you missed out is RUSTPROOFING.  You first item
suggests that you think in terms of total restoration and if so you
have answered your own question!  You will restore the car to
original and you cannot get all that much better.  But here are my
observations.

1) Replace wiring with custom electrical system if you must - I used
Dan Master's method so that all my wires are direct (no splices),
fused and relayed - all in one panel under passenger-side dash.  But
if loom looks okay just clean the connectors well.  Replacing with a
custom scheme is quite a challenge!  And being standard is not a bad idea.

2)DO NOT go to EFI.  Carburettors are more reliable and can be made
to work enough to get you home or next gas station were it is more
likely to find a carb man than a Brit car EFI man.  Do not use Webers
it is a waste of money and there is no power gain contrary to public opinion.

3) Electronic ignition is good but get a good solid brand name
preferably from someone like Moss Motors.

4) If you are going to rally the car across North Africa or fly
upside down in it then get an Optima - otherwise get a good 'normal' battery.

5) If the shocks work - keep them.  If they fail use tube shocks for
the rear only.  Front tube shocks make little if any difference,

6) Make sure RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING that you rust proof.  You have
to get into all the crevasses when the shell is bare.  The BEST stuff
is Dinol but it is hard to find in USA as the population leans toward
cheap and do not buy quality.  Dinol lasts ten times longer that
anything else and is used on aircraft.

7) Use sound deadening (I sell my own special make - cheaper and
better than Dynamat) all over and most importantly on the roof.  To
get a good result on doors it must be installed before the glass goes
in.  My MGB GT V8 doors shut like a Roll Royce.

8) Do not 'soup up' your engine but get it ported and flowed.

9) Keep your original rear springs if they look okay - new ones are
sometimes a pain.

10)  Many people replace the heater but I found it worked fine if you
solved that stupid heater valve.  I made one and it works fine - lots
of heat (but then I'm English!)

Oh well back to work (in the garden.......yes dear, I'm