Engine Rebuild Business

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Rebuild Business
From: mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 95 13:18:19 -0600

I haven't heard of the main bearing routine, butI was cautioned - from two
different sources - not to let the MGB idle drop below 2000 rpm for the
first 20-25 minutes - in order to break in cam and lifters.  Beyond that, I
checked the MGB owner's manual on break-in instructions.   It said
something like keep it below 45 mph for the first 500 miles (if  I recall
correctly).  I interpreted this to mean roughly a 2500 rpm ceiling for
cruising.

Allen "B"

That's funny; my Midget book says a 500-mile break-in with top speed of 45 mph
is called for in the case of a new Midget motor as well.  Of course, 45 mph in
a Midget is closer to 3000 RPM....  Funny the recommended max. speed is the
same for two differently-geared cars...

Hmm.

Michael Chaffee
mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu