a list directory?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: a list directory?
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 11:05:41 +0500
Fellow fiends:

With the recent changes to the brit-car list and development of three new
smaller specialized lists I'm wondering what interest there might be on mgs
for a list directory.  I would volunteer to assemble and maintaing this
directory, which I would post to the list members maybe every one or two
months.  What I'm thinking of is *not* an expansive thing, just a list of
names, e-mail addresses and MGs owned.  No home or work phone numbers.  No
home or work addresses (maybe identification of town/city and state/province
etc. but nothing more than that).  I imagine I would ask Mark B. to put a
line or two in the "welcome to the mgs list" document suggesting that
newbies could post such info to me directly for the sake of updatings.  I
don't know how we'd work it for folks that unsubscribe.  I suppose I could
periodically check majordomo with the "who" command.  I don't think this
directory would be available to folks (or companies) outside of the subscribers.

Strickly voluntary!  I'm not trying to interupt anyone's privacy.

MGs is pretty small (so far!) so it shouldn't be to much of a task to start
one and update it periodically.  The jag list has one and I personally just
find it interesting to associate names with locales and to note the
distribution of model or year ownerships.

What does the list think of this idea?  Perhaps we could toss the idea
around a bit before I formally ask for information from subscribers.  It
strikes me as fairly inobtrusive, but if the list objects, so be it.

Will "Nixon made lists too, ya know" Zehring