Re: Midget's Compression "too" high?

To: delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu, Aglaster@RWTH-Aachen.DE
Subject: Re: Midget's Compression "too" high?
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 10:20:26 -0600

> Hi greetings from EUrope
> Of course is the compression reading higher if the engine is cold. The
> oil is stiffer and gives a better seal on the cylinder walls.
> A slightly higher compression is often quite normal, as there is a lot of
> coal built up in the cylinder head and thus reducing the volume  and
> increasing the compression ratio. This could be the reason as Your car
> isn't running veryl well, as You wrote.

Ooh. I dunno about this. It's the norm to take compression readings when HOT
because then the rings expand to take up space...thus you get better
compression from a hot engine (ebrything fits properly eg, valves etc).
Thats why your engine runs crappy ona cold morning...everything is loose.
Oil doesn't provide the seal...the rings should.

Increased compression
can be a result of 'coking' ...i.e., carbon build thus
reducing volume of cylinder. You just need a stiff wire brush, whip
of the head, and clean it all up.

200psi is real good (as long as it's not due to coking!)

Marcus