Why twin exhaust?

To: Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Why twin exhaust?
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 17:25:25 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 6 Mar 1995, Todd Mullins wrote:

> Here's your chance to educate me:  What's the benefit of twin-tip
> exhausts?  It seems to me that if the cross-sectional area were
> adequate, the exhaust gasses wouldn't care how many tips the system
> had.  Is this a case of slick marketing?

The benefit of twin tip exhausts is that they're twice as cool.  Coolness
goes up not linearly, but exponentially with increase in x-sectional area.

> And if it doesn't fit well, which obviously is the case, then why bother?

I'm not sure this is something that can be explained.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6