Re: Old Faithful out the dipstick

To: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Subject: Re: Old Faithful out the dipstick
From: dirk.deboer@usask.ca
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:52:47 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 10 Mar 1995, Glenn Schnittke wrote:

> We going in for an exploratory on the maroon this weekend. Things I know:
> 1. Tiny green bubbles on the head just under the valve cover over #2
> 2. Bad rings (unless I cock the oil filler cap, Old Faithful out the
>dipstick)*> sfisher:

I don't have the manual here and I don't know what year your MG is, but
the oil comes out of the dispstick opening because your crankcase is
under a greater than atmospheric pressure. That means that there is something
wrong with the system of hoses that allow air to be sucked out of the
crankcase. The exact configuration of this system depends on the year of
your car. My first guess is that you have a plugged hose somewhere.
Of course, your rings may be bad too, but hopefully unplugging the hose
will relieve the crankcase pressure.

Dirk