Re: Seeking MG Magnette transmission

To: JACK <EMECH@delphi.com>, mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Seeking MG Magnette transmission
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 95 07:52:48 -0700
>I am looking for a Magnette transmission for a friends TVR/Jomar vintage and
>autox car.  A explanation of the difference between the Magnette box and a
>"B" or MGA trans would be a big help.  Please Email any info if you can.
>Thanks
>Jack Emery

This could very well depend on which Magnette you are talking about.

I doubt if you are referring to the pre-war K series Magnette.

The Z series Magnette s very similar to an MGA.  The engine differs in
a slightly lower compression ratio, and that the tach hole is not
drilled out of the block casting.  The rear ratio is different, and
the rear axle housing is slightly wider.  However, I believe the
transmission is absolutely identical to the one used in the MGA 1500.
I haven't run into a difference, and my friend who vintage races MGAs
has used a couple of Magnette transmissions without problems.  If you
are using a Z Magnette for parts, be aware there was a semi-automatic
transmission available, which won't do what you want.  Fortunately its
rather rare (and reportedly pretty bad).

The MK 3 and 4 used MGA 1600 and MGB running gear respectively. I have
no idea if there were transmission differences, but I would suspect
that they would have been subtle.

  Cheers,

    Jay Nemeth-Johannes                       87 Merkur XR4ti
    Hewlett-Packard                           83 VW GTI
    VXI Systems Division                      71 Saab Sonett
    Loveland, Colorado                        58 MG ZB Magnette