Trans. input shaft play

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Trans. input shaft play
From: woodcomp@vt.edu (chris lenth)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 15:57:03 +0500
In preparation for an impending overhaul, I removed the engine from my '73 B
Saturday afternoon.  This was my first time for a B and and an enjoyable
experience, although I'm sure that the two weeks without a motor will bring
sunny and beautiful weather.  Well to the question at hand.  The input shaft
of the transmission (4 sync no OD) seems to have 'alot' of play.  I assume
that some play is normal (esp after ~170K miles), but how much can I live
with?  Perhaps I should join in the search for a good used OD box.  I have
always wanted one, but adding another $400 or so to a complete rebuild is a
stretch for me.  On the other hand, if I'm going to do it, now is the time
and perhaps I should bite the bullet (or the VISA bill).  Any hints on how
much movement can be allowed would be appreciated.

thanks

ps.  At 27 am I too young to be in this deep?  all this talk of mini's,
bugeye's etc makes me drool.  However I am worried about a future as a 'poor
but lbc happy' professor.  It's far too late to turn back now though.

    Chris Lenth                                      _____\___
    Blacksburg, VA                               '--O-------O--'
    woodcomp@vt.edu                           1973 MGB