Re: '73 MGB, STILL running on #2 only!?? (Carbs)

To: Jon N Swanson <swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu>
Subject: Re: '73 MGB, STILL running on #2 only!?? (Carbs)
From: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 09:43:29 -0400 (EDT)
Jon,

If you want to change the conditions your SUs are in from the unknown to
the knowingly rebuilt state I would suggest you should get the SU manual.
I just recently bought it. I thank Larry (H.O.F.), because that's why I
got it for a good price at J.C.Whitney ($11).
I have also seen (thanks Jon Moore) that if you take off the air filters
and start your "single minded" engine that you can see by looking into
the carbs how much gas they are spraying into the intake. You can "feel"
that the air is sucked in on both carbs. Be careful, if it works well
they can sure suck a lot in. So don't try it first with your palm by
closing the intake hole, but use the fingers keeping them a crack open.
Then you pull the gas shaft/throttle and you see that the pistons rise.
On the bottom part of the carbs you can (should) see the gas sprayed into
the air stream. Roughly you can see if they work with the same amount of
gas, but that's a very vague method. Quick and dirty.

That's how I would see fast if the carbs are basically doing what they
should. They still can be totally out of wack, but if one doesn't spray
at all you know the answer to your problem: rebuild them.

Good luck,
        Gus

Agustin de la Calle               '71 MG Midget (red)
Boston, MA              delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu