RE: '73 MGB, Running on #1,2,4 !!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: '73 MGB, Running on #1,2,4 !!
From: Phil Truesdale <truesdale@james.wheaton.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 10:31:12 CDT
>So, I checked out the plug condition.  #1, 2, and 4 were BLACK, #3 wet with
>gas.  Using the "Goldilocks" spark plugs example (great example Jay):
>Spark plugs #1,2,4: "This mixture is way too rich"
>Spark plug #3: "Duh"
>
>Ok, so maybe I need to check to see if I am getting a good spark at #3 - but
>how?  Alright, maybe I need to invest in one of those ColorTune gadgets, but
>is there another simple way to reliably check?

A simple procedure which should just about eliminate the ignition system as a
contributor; perhaps you've already done something like this.

Clean plugs #3 and #4 (keep track of which is which!), then swap them on
reinstall.  Rerun the engine and check the plug condition to see if the
symptoms change.

If the plug in #4 is wet, replace the plug.  If #3 (formerly #4) is wet, try
swapping the #3 lead with another one that will reach, rerun and check for
symptoms.  If #3 is wet again, it's probably not ignition (carburation?).

Hope this helps.

Phil