Scuttle vent grille

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Scuttle vent grille
From: DANIELS@LMSBVX.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 22:25:40 -0500 (CDT)
TeriAnn notes:
>So does anyone know the answer the the original question of how to get the
>scuttle vent grill off?

OK, I just did this recently, so you'd think that I'd remember.  So maybe I
do.  The grille has several pegs that fit down through holes in the body,
and then there are small keepers that press onto the pegs from below.
("Below?", you say ...)   Sure, since the openings in the grille are rather
large (like, large enough for leaves, which is the reason this thread got
started), a couple of fingers through the openings is enough to push the
keepers on.

As for getting it off in the first place, I just gently pried it up a
little at a time, working my way around the edges several times. I don't
recall whether I used a screwdriver or a putty knife, but it was certainly
nothing more elegant.  Now, the advantage I had was that I wasn't worried
about the paint, since the reason I was taking it off was prior to painting
the car.  I was able to catch some of the keepers before they fell into the
cavern there, but I was able to reach the ones that did fall easily.

Now for the enigma:  If one fits the screen to keep out leaves and other
large objects, one can no longer push the keepers on from below when
reinstalling the grille.  So has anyone done this?

Wish me luck - the final primer coats went on last weekend, and I'm taking
some vacation time tomorrow to start the first color coats.

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
 daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351