re: Cowl Vent Trim

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Cowl Vent Trim
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 21:46:45 +0600
genfox@hookup.net (Peter D. C. Mann) writes

[regarding the drain tube]
>>How do you remove these, anyway? Just pull it off from below?
>
>No, do not remove it by pulling it off from below.

Why the hell not?  I just did it today (sorta accidentally).  The only
difficulty was getting it back onto the metal drain pipe, but there's a
trick to that!

If you look under the dash on the passenger (right) side, you'll see a
plastic grommet above the heater vent.  Remove this grommet, and inside is
the exact spot where the plastic tube slides onto the metal pipe.  Have a
friend stick his finger in the hole to make sure the tube lines up on the
pipe as you push it back up from underneath.  Easy!

As for replacing the metal tabs once you've removed the cowl trim and
installed a screen, you can *almost* reach the studs on the right side if
you remove the heater (I happen to have my heater out right now) and stick
your hand in the hole.  Access to the left side is blocked by a vertical
section of steel. I'm not suggesting anybody actually do this; I'd rather
warn people against wasting their time at a futile effort.
--
Jay Tilton
jtilton@vt.edu