Funny noises - 74 B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Funny noises - 74 B
From: glenns@edge.ercnet.com (Glenn Schnittke)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 1995 11:02:42 -0500
Sorry to slam both lists with this, but I may need as much net.wisdom As I
can get on this one.

I'm getting ready to replace the head on the maroon and since the
exploratory head pull, it has developed an interesting noise that sounds
like it is coming from underneath the engine compartment. At least that's
where it's the loudest. When revving the engine to 3 or 4k or so, as in
accelerating through the gears, AS IT IS REVVING DOWN it sounds like someone
suspended a pushrod from either end with a bunch of washers threaded on it,
and it is vibrating and ringing. It is only as the rpm are dropping that it
happens. The engine is still running fine and I just did a valve adjustment
last week or so. No change. But this noise is a little scary, and if anyone
has experienced it I'd love some insight. Like I say, there is a new head
getting milled now and I'm putting in new rings with it.

Other hints; at idle (c. 800 rpm), after it has warmed up, it will SLOWLY
drop rpm until it wants to cut out, as if there is a vacuum leak (I'm sure
there is and I've been blowing it off until the head replacement); it isn't
the transmission; I HAVE looked for parts and/or tools that might have
gotten left behind; I haven't checked the timing recently or anything else
like that.

Help?

GS
Opera ('Ah-prah) n.; football for musicians

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com