HELP MGB Tranny Dissasembly, STUCK & Confused

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP MGB Tranny Dissasembly, STUCK & Confused
From: Joanne Hershfield / Jim Fink <hershfld@email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 21:50:43 -0400 (EDT)
So, if you've been here or have a good idea for whats' up, please let me
know...

'71 MGB Trans Non-OD. Needs Second gear synchro ....
in following the Haynes manual on dissasembly, I expect
this manual will be a bit of a risky maneuver, but its here now.. so...

I am at the point where the "instructions" say now remove the rear
extension....well it won't remove, the remote control housing is off, the
rear flange is off, the interlock plate is out, the Speedo gear is out,
Now I believe I have
removed the "bolt and spring from the front selector lever", ( is this the
bolt that sits vertically in the front middle of the extension unit and
looks like a Pin, IE; its pointed on the end..) it appears to go into a
notch in the collar which is around the rear shaft...,

Now, I have heard that this extension just slides right off.... well it
comes out about 1/4" and goes clunk.. the 1/4" of slack is coming from the
gear cluster and the clunk is the rear gear in the front half of the
transmission cluncking against the back of the case.. I can just see down
in-between the extension and the body and the collar is moving with the
extension, i gather this is correct.... Now have I missed the front
selector lever's bolt..?.., I gather this is the main selctor on top that
the gearchange lever rides in and is not one of the three selectors on
the side.. and that the bolt is the only one I could see in this plane,
the one on top of the extension cover, i have tried a slight pry, do I
get more agressive, or can I proceed with dissasembling the front cover
and the selector forks etc, to see what else gives..?

I plan to call univ motors tomarrow between 1 & 2 pm if no luck here, but
would like to be dissasembled by then.......

Any Takers...
Thanks in advance...

Jim Fink
'69 MGB