Clutch hydraulics

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch hydraulics
From: warchol@may11.enet.dec.com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 95 09:43:03 EDT
I had a heck of a time getting all the air out of clutch hydraulic system on my
75 Midget. After a few failed attempts at pedal pumping with my 12 year old son
I built a pressure bleeder similar to the EZ bleed setup you see in Moss and
other places. While that was much better I still couldn't get all the air out
and the clutch wouldn't fully disengage.  After looking at the location of the
slave cylinder and even with the bleeder screw on the highest pointon it I
could imagine where air could be trapped in the slave cylinder.

I removed the slave cylinder with hydraulic line still attached. I used a
steel rod (or long bolt) to compress the piston in the slave cylinder and
rigged up a clamp to hold the rod in place. I then used the pressure bleeder to
purge the system of any air. When I reinstalled the slave cylinder the clutch
worked beautifully. Others might want to try the same procedure for a tough to
bleed system.

Nick