Midget gearbox

To: mgs@autox.team.net (-)
Subject: Midget gearbox
From: Maury.wnin@smtp.usi.edu (Maury)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 95 13:30
I didn't receive any wisdom or even flames from my post to british-cars,
so just in case someone on this list who isn't on the mother list has any
experience in this vein...

I bought a "replacement" gearbox for my 73 Midget (along with a few
hundred pounds of iron oxide and used Bondo).  The DPO said it was in
*excellent* shape.  Well, the bearing on the input shaft has spun
(between the outer race and the case).  I have received all kinds of
helpful? and conflicting advice from local transmission rebuilders,
including:
1) Scrap the whole thing
2) Buy a new case
3) Seat the bearing with Loctite bearing retainer
4) Knurl the case
5) 3 and 4

Has anyone had any experience with this problem?  Thanks in advance.

Maury - should have bought the bridge he had for sale instead - Murray