Re: keys again..

To: Jeff Drexler <jdrex@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: keys again..
From: Joanne Hershfield / Jim Fink <hershfld@email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 22:03:13 -0400 (EDT)

> Chris Lenth wrote:
>
>   I was wondering if anyone had ever had a new key made when no old keys
>   existed from which to make copies.

Been there, done that with several spitfires and two MGB's. Sharps
Locksmith in Austin, Texas did the keys by numbers when I was able to
take the lock apart easily, as in the door tumblers and the earlier Spit
and '69B's keys. The '73 B'GT required the locksmith to shove in a blank
repeatedly and wiggle extensively in the correct directio to scratch the
blank with the tumbler's stuff, then he looked at the blank, where there
was a scratch, he filed a little at a time till the scratching stopped,
worked his way along the key till he felt good about it, the key was
double sidded, so he took his cut blank into the shop, used it as a model
and made a double sided copy of it.... Voila, new key...., took a bout
45-60 minutes, cost $25., the numbered keys cost $15...

Have Fun...
Jim Fink
'69 B / '71 B