black plate?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: black plate?
From: Tom LeBlanc <leblanc@gdadmin.ucsb.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 95 09:40:00 PDT
>[edited] I was paging through Hemmings last night I kept seeing reference to
>"California black plate."  What does that mean?  I recall that the license
>plates in CA were yellow on black about fifteen or more years ago.  Is this
>related?  In a few cases these cars were for sale outside of California.  (?)

>Ideas?

You are correct, license plates in CA were black with yellow digits from 1963
to ~1970.  This is an attempt to indicate to the potential buyer that the car
is a "California car" from way back.  That it was either first registered, or
spent much of its life (63 to 70+) in sunny CA -- just forget about rainy
northern CA.  This being the case, it is obviously rust free! :-))

Tom Le Blanc
'73 MGB and '69 "black plate" MGB-GT rusty sills body shell.
University of California, Santa Barbara  Graduate Division