Re: MG Magnettes

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG Magnettes
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 12:48:54 -500
> >I don't know why the MG community discounts these cars, is it because they
> >haven't driven one?

Possibly. When they were sold, they were sedans, they rusted away.
They aren't a lot heavier than an MGA (2400 LBS), but certainly
aren't screamers in stock form.

> Is it because it doesn't have a convertible top

Convertibles are always at a premimum, of almost any sort.

> >why isn't the MGPB saloon discounted?

because it's a beautiful peice of rare coachwork. But it's hot and
sluggish to drive! I'd trade my PA in a minute...

> Jeez, they look like a Jag, have the
> >classic MG grill, and drive like an MG, why the scorn?

Scorn? Not much. Most people today just don't even know what they
are, and there aren't too many solid examples around.

> Having watched this thread for the last few days, I'd like to offer my
> humble opinion of the perceived value of most sport sedans.

Yea- has anyone compared the price of a Jag E-Type roadster to a 2+2
latley?

> My hats off to those ZA and ZB owners who do what they enjoy.

Thanks. They are fun to drive (especially when fitted with a 1798
B-series instead of a 1500). You can auto-x them (Check out the South
Lansing Centre Web page!) They have a large boot. The woodwork is
beautiful. They make a good daily driver, and road car. And they
have room for the kids.

While I have your attention- If anyone has parts Z's out there- I
could use a few things (Well, a lot actually, but...) And, no, I'd
rather not pay the preimum to order new from England just now... This
is a driver, not a show piece.

-Left side wiper box
-decent steering rack (mine was toast, I reconditioned it, but the
 gears are still rough)-
-one tail light lens

      Roger Garnett           (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"

34 PA
58 ZB
64 B
74 BGT