Re: smog removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: smog removal
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 03:05:01 -0400
The 70 B that I have had all the smog removed by the PO, and had a medium
street cam in it he passed the sniffer tests fine. The 74 has egr etc, so may
be tougher, but if it's a good motor and well tuned you may be ok...
Of course now we have visual checks, so I've had to find other ways around
the problem...like rebuilding the car into a 67 so it's legal again, as long
as the Weber is off it.
The biggest problem with the air pump is the heat build-up it causes between
#2 and #3 exhaust valves, and right there the REMOVED a water passage in the
'68-on heads to make room for the air injection passage thru the head. Smog
era Bs that get hot and overheated tend to crack heads right at that spot.
This alone should be motivation to trash the smog gear if you can get away
with it....
Get early carbs or a Weber ( side or downdraft, both are great, down-draft is
more practical on a stock motor) and your performance will improve also, your
74 has carbs set up with very lean needles and jets.
Better not throw any of the unloved smog stuff away, if you ever get visual
checks and you don't have it to put back on it'll cost you a fortune!