'75 Midget tuning

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '75 Midget tuning
From: madera@maple.net (Terry O'Brien)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 23:10:22 -0400
I'm new to all of this and I just hope that I'm sending to the right place

I've got a '75 midget 1500 and a bit of a problem ('only one?' you say?)

First off any info re: timing a desmogged 1500 with allison electronic
ignition would be appreciated. the distibutor seems tight but I'm not sure
of the advance springs or how to test them.

The problem is that the idle drops when the motor gets up to full temp.
set at 900 rpm after warming from a cold start it will drop to 500 -600
after being driven for a while, and after being shut down for 15 minutes
won't idle at all after starting. In order to avoid it dying altogether
I would have to set it so that it would idle at about 1200-1400 rpm and then
it will hardly ever drop. can't find any vacuum leaks and the carb
(stromberg) checks with the Hayne's

Other than not confidently maintaining idle at stop lights, it purrs along the
north shore of Lake Ontario every morning, top down and heat on, and keeps a
grin on my face as long as my girlfriend isn't looking at parts invoices.