Midget Manufacture Dates

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget Manufacture Dates
From: Laird Bolt <laird@iotek.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 09:09:35 -0300
Thanks for the help in finding the tan interior parts.  I am not sure of
the correct colour of the interior. tan versus biscuit versus autumn leaf
but I will find out and post any knowledge I garner.

Regarding: they stopped making them in August 79 - why is
yours a 1980?  Is that the purchase date or something?

I believe that August 1979 is the last date they were imported into the US.
My understanding is that the cars were manufactured until Dec 6 1979.
The last serial number being GAN6UM229526.  There did exist a 1980 model
year which was available in the UK and Canada only.

I purchased my car new in Canada in April 1981.  It is a 1980 model
(a curse because of a number of small undocumented wiring changes).  The door
plate is stamped November 1979 and the serial number is 229507 which would
reasonably correspond to the Dec 6 stop date with a serial number 229526.
As a point of interest I continued to see Midgets for sale new in Canada until
September of 1980.

Laird
1980 Midget