Re: diff. questions

Subject: Re: diff. questions
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 14:05:37 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>

>I'm getting a very modest but anoying leak (my personality is slightly
>mal-adaptive to our lbc's porosity) from my diff, not from the wheels but
>from the center where the pinion etc. is housed.  My first thought is to
[snip]

You did not mention what kind of diff. you have (banjo or tube-type).
I've got a tube-type and yes the breather just unscrews.  I believe the
breather is plastic so I'd be careful about what you clean it with.  I'd
think kerosene would be safe enough, followed by a nice blast of air...

My diff. leaked at the pinion also :(

The solution was to replace the pinion seal.  From what I could gather
the torque on the pinion nut is somewhat critical as it sets the preload
on the pinion bearing.  I can also tell you that the pinion nut is
TIGHT.  I marked the position of the nut with a dab of white paint before
I removed it.  I then used the "claw" part of a hammer to pull out the
old seal.  After installing the new seal, I tightened the nut back down
to the exact same place I found it.  So far no problems :)  YMMV :|

Good Luck,
John Van Valkenburgh
Raleigh, NC