Starter/ ignition problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter/ ignition problem
From: "Susan E. Umbley" <seumbley@mailbox.syr.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 19:31:55 -0400 (EDT)
About 3 or 4 times every summer when I start my 79 Midget, the car
starts, but the starter does not disengage.  What I've been doing is
shutting the car off and trying again until it starts normally.  I don't
work on the car myself, but I take it to a garage that specializes in
MGs, and they have never been able to find anything wrong with it, or at
least cannot recreate the problem.  Since I only drive the car for 3
months each year, and this only happens a few times each summer and it's
never left me stranded anywhere, I haven't bothered to look into the
problem any further.  Does anyone know what is causing this to happen?
Is it something in the ignition, or a problem with the starter, or
something else entirely?

-Sue Umbley