Allen's power loss question.

Subject: Allen's power loss question.
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 13:09:59 -0400 (EDT)
[snip]
>Local MG mechanic-friend, Gabor Agoston, diagnosed it from my description
>over the phone.  $4.90 later, MGB was back on the road, healthy and happy.
>
>' Wanna take a guess at it, anybody?  I'll confirm the correct answer in a
>couple of days.
>
>Allen Bachelder

Hmmmm, my first thought might be a clogged cat converter but I'd expect that
there might be some overheating associated with it.
My second guess would be a failing ingition coil.  I worked on a car with
very similar symptoms (gradual loss of power) which needed a new coil.
However I'd expect a new coil for a '77B to be more than $4.90.

Based on whats left I'd guess a fuel delivery problem.  A clogged filter
would be an obvious suspect, but I'm guessing that you had a fuel line
slowly collapsing, and the solution was to replace the rubber fuel lines.

I'm looking forward to hearing the real answer...

John Van Valkenburgh
Raleigh, NC