MGB wiring for horns

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB wiring for horns
From: Scott Miller (MSNA) <scottmi@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 95 07:58:04 PDT
Need help sorting out the wiring for my dual lead, dual tone system..

Prev. owner installed a new steering wheel and got the switch/spring
wrong so was no circuit made to sound horns. Just sorted this out so
a circuit is made and Now:
 - only one horn or the other will sound - must disconnect one to have
   the other work. tried switching terminals the leads were connected
   to on the horns but no change (I need to experiment a little more
with this..).
 - If both horns are  connected - just get a "hht" sound from the diaphram(s)
   pushing out and holding as long as the switch is depressed...

Questions:
1/ anyone know what the problem is?
2/ is there _enough_ current getting there? (either horn is strong)
3/ is this a short? if so ideas where?

notes:
* when getting the switch hooked up heard both horns sound on a couple
brief contacts when testing switch..but can't get it anymore!
* 1974 MGB (chrome), original Lucas cast horns, original wiring harness
* things all seem well  with one horn connected and leads pulled off the
other. (but I want both working!)

Please send reply's to scottmi@microsoft.com (i am not on mgs alias).
I will send compilation of any replies to mgs@autox.team.net and
british-cars@autox.team.net.