starter grinding

To: British Cars Newsgroup <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: starter grinding
From: Douglas Tietz <dwtietz@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 21:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
I've got a question about starter grinding on a '67 Datsun 1600
roadster.  I know it's not British, but I figured someone might have had
the same problem on an lbc.

About one out of five times I try to start my dad's Datsun, the starter
motor makes a terrible grinding noise.  We pulled out the starter and
replaced the solenoid, but it still has the same problem.  We also
measured resistance in the starter, and it appeared normal.  What's going
on?  Why would it not snap in strong enough?

Thanks,
Doug Tietz