Re: leaking exhaust manifold!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: leaking exhaust manifold!
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 12:21:48 -0400 (EDT)
Hmf... well, I found the collars hard to get "flat".... they tend to cock
a bit sideways, wedging themselves against the other of the twin pipes.

The other thing was the sealer doughnuts.  I bought new doughnuts, and
put them over the pipes... when I was about to put the arrangment
together my resident expert pointed out I had put the new ones over the
old ones.  The old ones looked SO different from the new ones I thought
they were a seat for the new ones, and the old ones had disappeared...
anyway, there was no way I could have tightened things up properly with
both sets of doughnuts installed.  The old ones were still serviceable
(according to the R.E. mentioned above) so I just threw the new ones in
the parts bin.  No leaks, except one nut backed off where it wasn't
tightened properly (the collar makes a neat noise when this happens, like
your recently rebuilt engine has pebbles rattling around in it.. <g>).

Hope this inspires a solution.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"6.  When you starve with a tiger, the tiger starves last.  (The second law
of reality.) - Jack Neafsey"