Re: Emmision Controls

To: eric_storey@mail.mba.wfu.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Emmision Controls
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 04:23:45 -0400
IMHO, you are best off with an early B... here in the Peoples Republic of
California anything made 66 or newer is subject to bi-annual inspection, even
though the 66-67 only have a pcv type device, they still must pass visual and
sniffer. The classic case is a friend who's 70 BGT, complete with DCOE45
sidedraft Weber, street cam, and no air pump Always passed the sniffer, but
when the visual check got put in a few years back, of course he flunked!
If you must get a smogger, stay as old as possible. The 74 1/2 on got really
bad performance wise, good rule is if it has rubber bumpers there is way too
much smog gear too! (no offense, late B owners, just MHO)
I would try to avoid the EGR equipped models, that was an extra layer of
complication added around 71 (?) On any smog equipped B, be cautious of a
cracked head betwixt #2 and #3... it seems that a water passage was
eliminated in this hot spot in favor of  an air pump nozzle passageway. Any
signs of overheating problems or low compression in these cyls is a warning
of possible big-time expense. I've even seen blocks crack in this area on a
hot-run smog motor!
Good Luck and Safety Fast!