exciting tonneau update

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: exciting tonneau update
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 08:40:26 +0500
Fellow fiends:

First off, thanks to those who helped resolve for me the sensitive issue of
snap points at the front of the early tonneau cover.  As it turns out there
were correct instructions with the cover I bought (from M**s) and I also
found a few good photos in one of my "Brooklands" collections.  As long as
we're talking about quality tops I can report that the tonneau cover from
this company seems to be of very high quality.  The zippers (3 of them) seem
strong and all sewing also looks strong.  The fit is really excellent and
the material seems sufficiently tough and thick.  All hardware for the "lift
the dot" snaps was included.  I paid about $180 for it (NOT cheep; but then
what is from M**s?).

As Augustin de la Calle predicted, the windshield needed to come off to
place the three dash mounted pegs.  NOT FUN.  I *strongly* recommend that if
you are in the midst of a restoration and the windshield is off already, and
you are even remotely considering using a tonneau, and you need to drill
holes for the pegs---do it now!  Taking the windsheild off *again* with the
dash in place was very unpleasant and in fact I chipped the crinkle finish
paint in two clearly visible places (&%$#@+!!)!  Putting the winshield back
on is an exercise in faith-testing frustration for one person (the way I did
it) and probably no trip to the beach even for two (I couldn't find a
neighbor).  I also recommend placing the lift-the-dot snaps on the cover in
bright sunlight.  This warms up the black cover and makes it easier to
stretch tight (same method you'd use mounting a top).

Having said all this, I'd do it again.  I think the car looks very nice with
the tonneau cover mounted and it is very convenient and comfortable (on
early morning drives I use the heater).  Bear in mind that I have the very
early folding top (which was probably designed by Joseph Mengele (sp?)).
Putting that monstrosity up and down all the time is not good for my
delicate condition (physical or mental).  I also think the B generally looks
cooler with the top down, and the tonneau cover enhances the 'horizontality'
of the B's design in a pleasing way (no stinking head rests on these
seats!).  The cover folds behind the seats and makes for a nice hood cover
when you have a passenger.

What a car!

Will "I'll take two" Zehring