MGB Cowl vent drain

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Cowl vent drain
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 12:14:12 -0400
I know this thread was exhausted a few weeks ago - and I didn't pay much
attention because I knew how to clean out the "bulb" already.  But... it
reminded me to clean the bulb on my '73 GT (now on stands undergoing
engine-bay detail and rebuilt engine/trans) while under the car replacing
brake lines the other night.

So I opened it - got crud all over my face - poked in it with a screwdriver
and got lots more crud out.

And then...

the bulb and connecting tube suddenly dropped about 3 inches.  Attempts to
push it back up resulted in the sound of disintegrating rust.  Sure enough,
there is (was) a metal down tube from the cowl vent cavity to which the
drain tube fastens - and this one is now gone.

Moral - if you haven't cleaned your's out, do it before the water backing
up does the same to your B.

Question -  how to fix it?  I know there is a small access hole next to the
passenger side heater outlet.  This morning, I poked down thru the vent
grill with a length of 1/2" PVC (O.D.=5/8") and it fit fairly snugly, but a
7/16" socket wrench (O.D.=11/16") seemed a little more snug.  I am hoping
to find some 11/16" O.D. copper pipe or PVC, drive it down in for a tight
friction fit, goop it with RTV, and reach in through the access hole and
attempt to re-attach the rubber tube to it.  I can't just leave it or  the
cavity between the cowl vent cavity and the trans tunnel will get water in
it and eventually rust through.  Right?

Anybody dealt with this before?  I could sure use a better idea.

Thanks,
Allen Bachelder