Clutch throwout bearings (Midget)

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Clutch throwout bearings (Midget)
From: Mike Gigante <mg@godzilla.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 10:25:05 +1000
On the topic of these bearings, I thought I'd post my mixed experience
with at least one type of replacement bearing.

I bought a ball-bearing type that is in a plastic case from a supplier
called Ballingal Spares here in Melbourne. They are the Moss Motors
distributors here. I have used them quite a lot and found them
reasonable.

The first bearing didn't last long and resulted in a disasterous
failure at the annual 6-Hour relay Race at Winton. We had to pull out
the engine and tranmsmission in the pits and scour the town for a
replacement bearing (we found a carbon one in a clubmate's garage).
The clutch was bearly servicable and the unit had to be replaced after
the meeting (the face was no longer perpendicular to the drive axis
and was badly scored).

I bought a replacement bearing (same type) as well as upgraded the
rest of the clutch assembly. A clubmate (Owen Crombie) dropped by as I
was working on the car and saved me from a repeat failure. It seems
that on some of these replacement bearings, the plastic case will
actually foul on the throwout fork once engaged. The solution was very
simple, we just ground a bit of the plastic case away and it was right
as rain. This apparently this was S.O.P. in the club, but that as a
relative newcomer, I hadn't stumbled across it yet.

So, by all means go with the non-carbon type, but before assembly just
make sure that the bearing will rotate freely.

Mike

Mike Gigante                    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://godzilla.cgl.rmit.edu.au/mg/         mg@godzilla.cgl.rmit.edu.au