Re:...WHY Be a Radio Converter not Car Converter

To: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com
Subject: Re:...WHY Be a Radio Converter not Car Converter
From: MarvinCX2@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 03:21:28 -0400

>> John Trifari writes...
>> Whoa everybody.  I'm only responding to a request for inputs on
>installing a
>> neg gropund radio in a pos ground car.  Apparenetly the requestor
>didn't like
>> the thought of converting to neg ground.
>
>Neither do I.
>
>Here is a schematic of how to install a negative ground radio in a
>positive ground car. Adding a second battery with the negative
>terminal
>attached to the frame and the positive terminal attached to the radio
>power (don't forget the fuse) the radio will work. The down side is
>the
>battery will not be attached to the charging system so it will
>eventually need to be recharged. Often if you have one of those
>subwoofers that shake the water in my toilet as you drive by the
>house.
>An electronic circuit can be added to either charge the second
>battery
>from the car battery or to just convert the proper voltage for the
>radio from the car battery. They used to sell these when there were
>an
>abundance of positive ground and 6V cars still around. I haven't seen
>any for sale lately but the circuit is not that difficult.

To each his own.  I agree that if you are not converting the entire car,
THE FUSE IS VERY IMPORTANT!  But I still contend that the easiest thing to do
is convert the whole car.  Tachs are the only difficult part of this process,
and they are not that bad.

Phil Bates
67 MGB negative ground converted
75 Jaguar XJ12C