Fire Hazards - MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fire Hazards - MGB
From: ALESiegel@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 07:26:27 -0400
Thought those on the list would be interested in the article "Don't Let Your
MGB Burn" in the May/June issue of MGB Driver, the publication of the North
American MGB Register. The author, Dennis Trowbridge, lists a number of
potential hazards, notably: 1) Failed alternator diode pack. This manifests
itself by the ignition light remaining on even after the key is turned off.
This leads to potential catastrophic shorts. This happened on my 73 MGB this
winter. No fire, but the coil, etc. became very warm. The advice: Disconnect
the battery immediately!!! 2) Seat belt interlock system which can be shorted
out by wires wearing through under floor mats and grounding out on the metal
of the car body. 3) Overdrive circuits that have not been fitted with an
in-line fuse. 4) The mechanical impact fuel cut-off valve in 1977-1980 MGB's
which can fail, and spray gas onto the catalytic converter. I know this last
one has caused awful fires. See the article for more interesting details-it's
worth the time.
I would like to recommend the Register to all MGB owners. I am new as a
member, but find the publications very useful. It's worth the $25.
The best advice is not mentioned - carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Enjoy -
Alan Siegel