Re: electrical problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electrical problems
From: "David M Culgan" <culgandm@ggdns.gg.dupont.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 95 11:09:24 EDT
In message <9506081510.AA04031@graves.chem.olemiss.edu> David Graves writes:

> The generator (ignition warning) lamp stays on while the engine
> is running, rather than fading out at higher rpm.  Removal of the
> battery cable while the engine is running kills the engine.  I
> have replaced the generator and voltage regulator to no avail.
> Any suggestions?  P.S.  This is a 1969 MG-Midget.
>
> Dave
Had the same problem myself on my 66 B, new (rebuilt) generator, new (?)
regulator. Checked everything, came to the conclusion the regulator was bad.
Drove it back to the shop (with fresh charge on battery), showed the owner - he
took it back and gave me another regulator. Everythings fine now. I don't think
you can always assume a replacement part is good. You need to test (& re-test)
everything.
Good luck.

Dave Culgan
'66 MGB & others