MGC: Tires and Emissions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGC: Tires and Emissions
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 95 07:55:01 EDT
     Someone recently pointed out that he had not seen any postings about
MGCs.  Here is a real posting that even includes a question or two.
     I have a C/GT and wonder what tire pressure I should be running.  My
question comes from the _slight_ change in tire technology from the time my
car was built and the present.  Does anyone else out there have a running
C/GT that they would be willing to share tire pressures on?  I currently use
the same as I used on my 77 B roadster (28/32 F/R).  As there are a number
of changes (no rubber monsters fore and aft, a huge lump under the hood, and
GT vs RDSTR) I expect the pressures to be different.  Any suggestions as to
which way I should start experimenting?  Most of my driving is
psuedo-highway (45 mph or greater).
     Since Ray has opened a can of worms with this emissions thing, I will
add a question.  My C doesn't have anything on it other than a PCV valve.
In some of my C reading, I thought I remembered mention of the dreaded air
pump.  Mine doesn't have this.  It also doesn't have any obvious empty
brackets or plugs for an air rail to connect to.  If it is supposed to have
one, I may be in trouble.  Cs are rare enough that I doubt I could find a
used one, and remanufacturing new ones for a market as limited as the C
would be _very_ unlikely :-(  Somebody tell me (for certain) that my C had
none.....
     As a car?  My C is clearly on the ratty side.  The rockers are better
than swiss cheese, but they will definately need attention in the not too
distant future (thank goodness it is a GT :-)  The interior is well loved
original.  The wires, a little clunky from worn splines.  The windows are
starting to cloud nicely.  The brake boosters are sitting in the garage so I
have a large right calf.  It likes to use just a _wee_ bit of oil until it
warms up.
     However, with a new Lumenition electronic ignition in the beast and a
fresh set of spark plugs, it goes like stink.  It is the first MG that I
could see driving all day on the interstate at 75mph and not worry except
for the occasional oil topping up.  It has a dual cherry bomb exhaust system
that makes the most wonderful growls when accelerating at low RPMs.  And my
two little girls (2 and 4) love it!  "Daddy, can we go in the green car today?"
     Get rid of it?  That is why my midget is for sale.  Hey Ray, want a 73
midget with a 66 engine???  I would even throw in the hard top so you could
drive it in the rain....

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581