On the way to fewer emmissions

To: BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: On the way to fewer emmissions
From: TJ Noto <tj@giant.sbay.ftp.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 95 17:19:48 PDT
First of all, thanks to all who responded to my cry for help.

An update follows:

Spent most of Sunday morning under the bonnet of my poor neglected
bee. . .

Drove the old girl over to my fathers house for some fettling.  He's
got two Jags which he's managed to keep running for many years, and
he used to fix airplane engines (big, air-cooled radial ones and big
liquid-cooled V12 ones and big JT9D jet engines) so I like to have
him around when I don't know what I'm doing (which is most of the
time some might opine).

Anyway, after setting the timing properly (it was WAY too far
advanced), and after synching the carbs (they weren't) with a UniSyn
and after adjusting the mixture (it wasn't) she's now running much
cleaner.  Both to the nose and eye (certainly LESS black smoke
emmanating from the tailpipe) and also corraborated by the Exhaust
gas analyzer my old man owns.  Interestingly enough, when the EGA
shows the car running "in the green" which is supposed to be "clean"
the car doesn't run too well.. .which confirms what I've always
believed-that British cars (maybe all OLD cars) like to run a lot
richer than current smog standards dictate. . .

Anyway, she's running MUCH better now, I've poured a bottle of "Water
Remover" in the tank and will take the next opportunity I have to get
her over to the smog station to see how things pan out.

I'll post any interesting results when I know more. . .

Cheers,
teej

PS-"hi" to Daren Stone"

PPS-does anyone remember or know of a Bay Area contingent which used
to be known as the "Sorry Safari?"  I thought it was a bunch of Land
Rover fans and remembered them from different meets, but they seem to
be defunct.  I have a friend similarly inclined and was trying to
turn him on to them.
tj noto         palo alto       ca      usa
1966 mgb
"Once again Yankee ingenuity triumphs over British craftsmanship"