booster problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: booster problems
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 95 09:11 EDT
Harvey writes :
        > I'm having some problems with my brakes.

        > ........  Is the brake booster bad?

There is one sure way of telling if your brake booster is bad.

1 - With the engine OFF, pump the brakes to get rid of any
    vacuum in the booster.
2 - Put your foot firmly on the brake pedal and start the engine.
3 - If the booster is working you should feel the brake pedal move
    SLIGHTLY down.

If the brake pedal did NOT move down then the booster is defective.

However from your description it does not sound as if its a booster problem
(although it may still be defective). If while applying pressure to the brake
pedal, it moves slowly to the floor, this would indicate an internal master
cylinder problem (assuming you have no external fluid leaks).

The booster on my car stopped working several years ago, however I have no
fluid leaks, so I removed the booster from the system. The brake are VERY
good on the car, so I do not miss the absence of a booster.

gerry