bucking MGB Q

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: bucking MGB Q
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 11:39:44 -0400 (EDT)
Please help,

I have a BGT for evaluation this week.  I would like some suggestions as
to where to look for the cause(s) of one annoying problem.  (I'll post
other questions separately.)

The engine runs very well and pulls strongly under acceleration.  It
feels very good and sounds very good under acceleration (and it has an
almost straight exhaust, so believe me you can really hear it).

It runs acceptably at a constant speed above 30 or 40.  However, when I
let up on the gas and the car slows to about 25 or 30 in 4th (non OD), it
begins to buck and snatch as if I were tapping my foot irregularly on the
accelerator.  At the same time, it mumbles and belches through the
exhaust.

The idle is not set too high; in fact when the engine is hot the idle is
so low that it barely keeps running.  I would have to say it idles very
rough, but really goes well under acceleration.

I am wondering if there might not be a considerable vacuum leak (worn
throttle shafts?) and rich carbs, but my understanding of carbs is pitiful.

Background:  72BGT with 68 engine.  Desmogged, but not in a very sanitary
way.  SU carbs, appear standard.

Advice gratefully accepted; I would like to understand this before I
decide to buy or not.  Car is fairly cheap, body is fairly good, albeit
shabby.  It has overdrive.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910